International Museum Day
The International Council of Museums (ICOM) established International Museum Day in 1977 to encourage public awareness of the role of museums in the development of society.
Theme: Museums (memory + creativity) = social change
This equation summarizes the bifurcation that museums are experiencing: their traditional mission of preservation has to be reconciled with the creativity necessary to their renewal and the development of their audiences, with the firm conviction that their actions can change society in a constructive manner.
For developing activity programs, five sub-themes are suggested that look into museums as:
- informal education structures
- a social space rooted in its territory
- avenue for intergenerational dialogue
- harnessing communication and mediation through new media
- innovating in conservation practices